Last Thanksgiving we teamed up with our friends at Miyokos, Tofurky and Follow Your Heart to bring you an entire plant-based holiday menu. This year, we’re bringing back our Vegan Pumpkin Cream Pie recipe with a few upgrades to make it better than ever. As you set your holiday table, remember that compassion is always in good taste.
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 2 hours or overnight
- 1-2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Pint Coconut Bliss Madagascan Vanilla Bean ice cream, melted
- 6 Tbsp chilled coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6 Tbsp ice water
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk, chilled
- 6 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Nutrition Facts - per 1/8 of pie
- Calories - 600
- Fat - 46g
- Saturated Fat - 29g
- Cholesterol - 0mg
- Sodium - 105mg
- Carbohydrate - 47g
- Fiber - 4g
- Sugars - 20g
- Protein - 9g
(Use organic ingredients whenever possible)
Prep the Crust Directions:
- To prepare crust, add gluten free flour and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the cold coconut oil and work gently with a pastry cutter to cut it in until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water a tablespoon at a time to help it come together.
- Once a loose dough is formed, transfer to a piece of plastic wrap and bring it together to form a 1/2 inch thick disc.
- Wrap firmly and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Allow to warm on the counter for 10 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and prepare pie filling.
- Add all filling ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Set aside.
- To roll out the crust, unwrap the disc and place it between two layers of wax paper.
- Use a rolling pin to gently roll it into the shape of your pie pan.
- Transfer the crust into a pie pan, forming it to the bottom and sides of the dish with your hands.
- Seal any cracks with excess dough.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Pour Filling in Crust
- Fill the Crust with the pumpkin mixture
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Chill the coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator and open the lid.
- Scrape out the thickened cream and discard the liquid or save it for use in smoothies.
- Place coconut cream in a chilled mixing bowl.
- Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer until creamy.
- Add vanilla and maple syrup and mix until creamy and smooth – about 1 minute.
- Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- Top each pie slice with a dollop of cream and enjoy!
- Ginger Cookie + Caramel to add some extra festive flair to this holiday favorite.