Corn Cakes and Avocado Mousse with Dulce de Leche Bliss, oh my! This small-plate tapas dish represents all things good about summer. We know you’ll enjoy this sweet and savory combination of corn cakes, zesty avocado mousse topped with a vegan dulce de leche made from Madagascan Vanilla Bean ice cream (yes that’s a thing!).
Inspired by the creaminess and functionality of Coconut Bliss products we’ve done it again to create the deliciously unexpected. We love taking seasonal ingredients and pairing them together in our plant-based recipes. You can add 1/2 a cup of sweet corn right off the cob during the late summer when fresh corn is ripe and plentiful. Don’t forget the secret blissful ingredient, Infinite Coconut ice cream!
Looking for a little history 101 when it comes to tapas? Tapas originated in Spain and consist of small plates of food that are served between meals, normally with an alcoholic drink. This has since become a trend world-wide at many restaurants and can be easily recreated in your own home. These corn cakes are the perfect size for tapas or an appetizer dish. Don’t let the size fool you, they are packed full of sweet and savory flavors that will keep you reaching for more!
Our Dulce de Leche Bliss (or caramel sauce) is honestly a vegan phenomenon. When experimenting in our Coconut Bliss Kitchen, we found that simmering our ice cream on the stove would caramelize the ice cream and turn into a rich amber caramel sauce. You can never go back to store bought Dulce de Leche after making this at home. You can add it to almost any dish, sweet or savory!
For more history on Spanish Tapas, check out this article by Spain-Holiday.
Corn Cake Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup masa
- 1/4 cup Infinite Coconut Coconut Bliss, melted
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch cayenne
Dulce de Leche Bliss Ingredients:
- 1 pint Madagascan Vanilla Bean Coconut Bliss, melted
(Use organic ingredients whenever possible)
Corn Cake Directions:
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat coconut oil until creamy.
- Add the masa and water, and beat until incorporated. Set aside.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together. Add the melted Coconut Bliss, and stir to combine.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures being careful not to over mix. Your batter should be lumpy.
- Spoon into muffin pans, filling each cup about ⅔ full and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cool before serving.
- Halve the avocados and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado into a food processor and add the salt.
- Pulse for a minute until still chunky. Add lime juice and cayenne and process on high until completely smooth and glossy.
- Store tightly covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Dulce de Leche Bliss (caramel sauce) Directions:
- Pour Madagascan Vanilla Bean pint into a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat on medium-high, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes until caramelized.
- Spoon Dulce de Leche Bliss onto serving plate and place muffin in the center of sauce.
- Spoon avocado mousse onto the muffin and drizzle with more Dulce de Leche Bliss.
- Serve immediately. (Optional, for a more elegant presentation level the corn cake and place upside down.)