This Chocolate Peanut Butter Mole celebrates all of the traditional Mexican flavors in one rich and delicious recipe. Hot chiles, aromatic spices and rich Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream blend together to make this vegan mole the perfect saucy topping for any dish.
For more plant-based Cinco de Mayo recipe inspiration that you can use year around, check out the Happy Herbivore. Mix and match your Mexican entrees with our Chocolate Peanut Butter Mole sauce and it will surely be a fiesta in your mouth!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mole Ingredients:
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 3 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 small fresh poblano chile, diced
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, diced
- 1 fresh cherry pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice
- 2 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 pint Coconut Bliss Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Sautéed jackfruit or other plant-based protein (tempeh, etc.)
- Cast iron skillet
- High speed blender
- Mixing bowls
(Use organic ingredients whenever possible)
- Add broth and water to a saucepan and heat until simmering, approximately 5 minutes. Transfer warm liquid to blender.
- Toast dried chiles and tortilla strips in a non-oiled cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until aromatic and toasted. Approximately 3 minutes. Transfer to blender.
- Allow chiles and tortilla strips to soak in blender, fully submerged until softened, approximately 10 minutes. Blend on high until mixture is smooth.
- Cook fresh chiles in a dry skillet on medium-high until soft and charred, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Add to blender with dried chile and broth mixture and blend on high until incorporated.
- Heat coconut oil in cast iron skillet and sauté onion, garlic raisins, cumin, thyme, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Stir frequently and cook until onions are soft and golden, approximately 8 minutes.
- Remove whole spices and add to blender mixture. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour contents of blender into cast iron skillet. Stir in softened Coconut Bliss Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce is slightly reduced and thickened.
- Serve over rice and beans, jackfruit or your favorite plant-based protein.