It’s no secret that we’re all about ice cream. Afterall, it is one of the many reasons we love summertime so darn much. The icing on the cake? One of our favorite holidays is almost here—National Ice Cream Day!
Although its true origins are unknown, the history of ice cream is as rich as ice cream itself. Legend has it that one Roman emperor had ice collected from the mountains to make a sorbet-like dessert with honey and wine (is that a new recipe idea we hear?).
One thing is certain, ice cream has come a long way since then. Every country and culture has their own sweet twist on this age-old treat; from gelato to paletas, there’s a whole lot of diversity in this dessert!
- Gelato, with its Italian origins, has spread far and wide for its decadent, creamy richness. Churned at a slower rate, less air is incorporated and the finished product is denser. Traditional flavors include pistachio, chocolate and of course, vanilla.
- Meanwhile, Mochi ice cream from Japan, are small, round confections which consist of soft, sticky rice formed around an ice cream filling. These can be fun ones to try making at home and we even made some vegan mochi a while back (hint, hint)!
- Frozen custard, the sweet staple of the midwest, became popularized a hundred years ago on the boardwalk of Coney Island, New York. It offers a thick, creamy texture, smooth consistency and keeps at slightly warmer temperatures.
- In Mexico, you might come across paletas; frozen popsicles made with coconut milk or fresh fruit. Paletas are extraordinarily refreshing and again, a breeze to craft in your own kitchen.
- Is India on your bucket list? If so, give kulfi a try. Slow cooked in a careful process, the caramelization of sugars imparts a distinctive flavor. Then it is quick-frozen in molds and garnished with ground cardamom, saffron, or pistachio nuts—delectable!
At Coconut Bliss, we believe in dessert-diversity and honor all ice cream, but our goal is to make ice cream for everyone. In our unending mission to spread the bliss, we’re giving away a year’s supply of our organic and plant-based Coconut Bliss ice cream. Follow us on Instagram and keep an eye out on July 19th for our post for your chance to enter and win!
We’ve come a long way from carrying snow down mountains just to have a frozen dessert on a summer’s day, and we think that is something worth celebrating. To you, dear friend, we say happy National Ice Cream Day!