Winter brings us shorter days, chilly temperatures and the sweetest colorful citrus! This beautiful winter citrus tart is the perfect way to showcase all kinds of seasonal citrus in one vibrant dish. One bite of this plant-based dessert and you’ll see Spring coming just around the corner. And just like always, this recipe is gluten, dairy and soy free!
A crunchy, macadamia nut crust is filled with a creamy lemon and vanilla filling and topped with oranges and grapefruit. You can use Blood or Cara Cara oranges for the radiant color. Lemon segments also work if you want it extra tart. Our Madagascan Vanilla Bean ice cream is our not-so-secret ingredient to creating the perfect vanilla filling.
Looking for more delicious vegan recipes to get your through winter? We recommend taking a look at these 12 feel-good recipes by Emilie Eats!
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp. Meyer lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest, freshly grated
- ⅓ cup agave syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Meyer lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 pint Madagascan Vanilla Bean, softened
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2-3 oranges
- 2-4 blood oranges
- 2 grapefruits
(Use organic ingredients whenever possible)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Add all crust ingredients except lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add lemon juice and pulse until dough comes together.
- Press dough into a lightly oiled 12 inch tart pan. Spread the mixture evenly into the tart pan creating a flat, even layer. You can also use single portion tart pans.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the tart cool. Carefully remove it from the tart pan onto a serving platter.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill (about 1 hour).
- To prepare the filling, add cornstarch, salt and Coconut Bliss to a saucepan and whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat whisking frequently. To avoid sticking or burning, scrape the sides of the pan to continuously incorporate the mixture.
- Once the mixture is thickened and cornstarch flavor is cooked out, remove from the heat and whisk in vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- When the mixture is still slightly warm pour it onto the tart crust and spread evenly. Place crust with filling back into the refrigerator.
- While the tart crust and filling are chilling, segment the oranges, blood oranges, and grapefruit, placing them in separate dishes
- Once filling is completely set in the tart crust use the segmented citrus to decorate the tart with your favorite pattern. Serve immediately, or store covered in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with citrus zest and mint (optional).