Cranberry and orange is an undeniably delightful flavor combination. Sweet, tart, bright and fruity, it’s a burst of sunshine during dreary winter months. For a splash of color and a pop of flavor, add this holiday ice cream cake to your dessert table for something new and different. The candied orange peel and cranberries can also be used to garnish your festive beverage of choice or simply served in a candy dish.
8 - 10 Servings
- 2 pints Coconut Bliss Madagascan Vanilla Bean
- 14 oz. Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, freshly grated
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Candied Orange Peel Garnish:
- 1 large orange, 1/4 inch of top and bottom cut off
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
Candied Cranberries Garnish:
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Baking sheet pans
- Parchment paper
- Spring form cake pan, 9 or 10 inch
- Add all crust ingredients except orange juice to food processor.
- Pulse until combined.
- Add orange juice and pulse until dough comes together.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and press dough into cake pan.
- Freeze until firm (20-30 minutes).
- Soften 2 pints of Madagascan Vanilla Bean Coconut Bliss.
- Blend 1 pint of Coconut Bliss with cranberry sauce.
- Pour into cake pan and smooth over crust.
- Return to freezer until firm (20-30 minutes).
- Once the first layer is firm, pour the second pint of softened Coconut Bliss into cake pan and smooth over surface.
- Wrap cake with plastic wrap and freeze.
Orange Peel Garnish Directions:
- Cut peel on each orange into 4 vertical segments.
- Remove each segment (including white pith) in 1 piece.
- Cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips, trim pith.
- Cook in a large pot of boiling water 15 minutes.
- Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cups water to boil in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Add peel.
- Return to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer until peel is very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Toss peel and 1/2 cup sugar on rimmed baking sheet, separating strips.
- Lift peel from sugar; transfer to sheet of foil.
- Let stand until coating is dry, 1 to 2 days.
- DO AHEAD: Wrap and freeze up to 2 months.
Cranberries Garnish Directions:
- Cook 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water in heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Transfer to top of double boiler.
- Add cranberries.
- Cover berry mixture and place over simmering water.
- Cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from over water. Let cranberry mixture stand at room temperature overnight.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar on plate.
- Drain cranberries well.
- Add to sugar and turn to coat.
- Let dry at least 30 minutes.
- (Can be prepared 3 days ahead - Cover and refrigerate.)
- 15 minutes before serving, remove cake from freezer.
- Unwrap and release spring form.
- Allow to sit at room temperature while you garnish the top of the cake with candied fruit.
- Once the sides of the cake have released from the pan, serve immediately.