This dessert is what coconut dreams are made of. We created this classic Coconut Cream Pie with our beloved coconut lovers in mind. Traditionally, this recipe contains butter, eggs and cream but we’ve developed a perfect vegan and gluten-free version that everyone will enjoy.
This creamy, dreamy pie is balanced in sweetness with a gluten-free crust and a cloud of whipped coconut cream on top. For a truly rich and tropical filling, we used our Infinite Coconut ice cream mixed with some shredded coconut for the perfect texture.
Coconut is one of the most versatile ingredients on the planet. Coconut water, milk, cream, and oil are just a few ways we incorporate coconuts into savory and sweet recipes. In this recipe our rich Infinite Coconut ice cream is a not-so-secret ingredient that takes this dish to the next level.
We invite you to create this recipe at home and share it with the ones you love this holiday season. Create this pie the night before and have it ready to go for a potluck or a festive get together. You can keep it classic or get creative with the toppings by adding shaved chocolate, fresh bananas or toasted nuts. We are firm believers that food brings people together and this dish will surely create blissful memories for all.
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup raw unsalted pecans, or nut of choice
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 chia egg (1 Tbsp. chia seed + 3 Tbsp. hot water)
Pudding Filling Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pint Coconut Bliss Infinite Coconut, softened
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ cup shredded coconut
Whipped Topping Ingredients:
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. powdered sugar
(Use organic ingredients whenever possible)
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Mix chia seeds with hot water in small bowl and let stand
- Add all other crust ingredients to food processor and pulse until it resembles a coarse mixture.
- Add chia egg and pulse until a loose dough forms. You should be able to squeeze a small amount together and have it hold its shape.
- Lightly grease a pie pan.
- Using a piece of parchment paper and a flat bottomed item such as a measuring cup, press crust mixture into pie pan, working it up the sides, until bottom and sides of pan are covered. Use your thumb and forefinger to crimp the edges of the crust.
- Bake crust at 350˚ for approximately 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To prepare the filling, add cornstarch, salt and Coconut Bliss to a saucepan and whisk together. Cook over medium heat until bubbling.
- Whisk frequently to avoid the mixture sticking to bottom of the pan and burning. Scrape the sides of the pan to keep incorporating the mixture.
- Once the mixture is thickened and jiggly, remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and shredded coconut.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill in refrigerator for approximately 2 hours or until set.
- To prepare topping, open cans of coconut milk and drain out watery contents. Save for later to use in smoothies. What should be left is just the thick coconut cream. Scrape the cream out into a mixing bowl and beat with hand mixer on high until it starts to resemble whipped cream.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until fluffy and desired consistency in achieved.
- Add half the whipped topping to the chilled pudding mixture and gently fold in. Spread evenly into the cooled pie crust, cover and place pie in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove pie from refrigerator, add remaining whipped topping and sprinkle with shredded coconut.