A plant-based spin on a classic treat from the Philippines.
This Coconut Bliss Ube Halaya dessert recipe is made with simple ingredients, boasts a bright purple color and incorporates traditional flavors of the Philippines. In recent years, ube has become a popular ingredient used in many dishes around the world. Chefs are incorporating this earthy and sweet purple yam into cakes, pastries, and shakes to turn any recipe into a beautiful purple treat.
Traditionally, ube halaya is made by combining boiled and mashed ube (purple yams), condensed milk and butter. We called in our Recipe Development team to create a dairy free version for our fans to enjoy. Since coconut is another popular food in the Philippines (and the location where we source some of our organic coconut milk) we knew our coconut milk ice cream would be the perfect match. The results were exactly what we hoped for and we are so excited to share this recipe with you!
Ingredients For the Raw Vegan Cookie Dough:
- 16 ounces Ube (purple yam), peeled & grated
- 1 pint Coconut Bliss Madagascan Vanilla Bean ice cream, softened
- Coconut oil or spray for prepping the molds
- Maple syrup, edible flowers and toasted coconut for garnish (optional)
- In a heavy bottomed pot, bring 1 pint of Coconut Bliss Madagascan Vanilla Bean ice cream and ube to a boil over medium heat.
- Once simmering, reduce heat and cook until ube is tender. Transfer the mixture to a blender, blend until smooth and return the mixture back to the pot.
- On low heat stir frequently, scraping down the sides of the pot until the mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. This should take about 30 - 40 minutes. The longer you cook it, the thicker it will be.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- You can transfer the halaya into a jar or spread it into molds. Be sure to spray the molds with coconut oil before adding the halaya.
- Cover the molds with wax paper and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Garnish with edible flowers, toasted coconut or add a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!